Marin Software: Holiday Retailers Missing Mark on Facebook
Facebook Data Analysis Reveals Black Friday and Cyber Monday May Not Be the Best Time to Reach Holiday Shoppers on Facebook
SAN FRANCISCO, CA–(Marketwired – Oct 7, 2014) – Marin Software (NYSE: MRIN), provider of a leading cross-channel performance advertising cloud, today released findings outlining the best days for retailers to reach holiday shoppers on Facebook. Marin’s analysis of Facebook advertising indicates ad engagement on the social network peaks two weeks before Thanksgiving, suggesting retailers would see better ad performance on Facebook if they changed the timing of some of their ad campaigns.
- According to ComScore, Black Friday and Cyber Monday accounted for more online revenue than any other day during the 2013 holiday shopping season. Not surprisingly, online ad spend across search, social and display channels spikes around Thanksgiving week. Performance data from Marin Software suggests retailers advertising on Facebook would be better served targeting consumers two weeks before Thanksgiving.
- Consumers interact with social networks differently than they do with traditional performance marketing channels such as search and display. In looking at consumers’ engagement with Facebook ads as measured by click-through rate (CTR) — measurement of ads seen and clicked on — Marin found the CTR of Facebook ads spiked roughly two weeks prior to Thanksgiving on November 12, 2013.
- According to Marin Software’s findings, the CTR of Facebook ads on November 12, 2013 was a stunning 1,620% higher than the CTR on Black Friday and 855% higher than Cyber Monday.
- Looking at ad click volume, Marin Software found November 12, 2013 had 60% more clicks than compared to Black Friday, and 100% more clicks than Cyber Monday. The highest number of Facebook ad clicks occurred on December 24, 2013 — 472% more clicks than Black Friday.
- Marin Software’s Facebook holiday data findings, as well as the latest best-practices in retail performance marketing, are available in The Retailer’s Last Minute Guide to Holiday Advertising on Facebook, which can be downloaded at: www.69zizuo.com/resources/whitepapers/the-retailers-last-minute-guide-to-holiday-advertising-on-facebook-4-savvy-strategies-and-8-quick-tips-for-performance-marketing-success.
- “Facebook advertising is a performance marketer’s dream,” said Daniel Morris, Director of Product Marketing at Marin Software. “As the network’s ad offerings have matured, sophisticated advertisers are no longer viewing Facebook as a site for measuring nebulous factors like engagement. More and more, performance marketers understand Facebook’s unique position in the buyer’s online journey. Recognizing Facebook’s role and relationship with complementary search and display campaigns, advertisers are adjusting their creative and spend to convert audiences across seasons, channels and devices. For example, using Marin Software’s Audience Marketing Suite, a retailer could run a Facebook campaign leading up to Thanksgiving week, segment consumers that clicked on the Facebook ads, and then retarget those active consumers during the busy holiday week on search and display channels where they are more likely to convert.”